Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Insurance: Do I Need it?

You might think that it is a good idea to insure your vehicle with uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD) coverage to make sure that you are protected when someone without insurance hits your car. However, if you take the time to understand the terms of this coverage, you might find out that it may not be necessary when you already have collision coverage. Read on to better understand the variations of this coverage.
What does UMPD cover?

Uninsured motorist property damage covers the damages incurred when a car is hit by a driver that has no insurance and in some cases when you get involved with a hit-and-run. It also pays for the damages caused by a driver who doesn’t have enough insurance coverage, otherwise referred to as the underinsured motorist. Note that UMPD may only cover up to the current value of your car (or, in some states, less), which isn’t much of a help if you have an old car.

What are the variations of UMPD?

  • Property Damage Coverage

This covers the damages to your vehicle due to a collision, regardless of whom or what caused it. Take, for instance, if another motorist hits your car, you can file a claim against that driver’s liability insurance, or use your collision coverage. Note that it comes with a deductible that reduces your claims check.

  • Bodily Injury Coverage

This only covers the injuries you’ve suffered when an uninsured or underinsured driver hits you.

Should you get UMPD coverage?

Collision coverage pays for the damages caused by drivers with, without, or without enough insurance. In this instance, there’s only one advantage to getting a UMPD: it usually has a lower deductible.

If you only have liability coverage that pays for the damages and injuries you cause to others, getting UMPD might be a wise idea. Without it, if an uninsured motorist hits your car, the only option you have would be to sue the driver.

Whether UMPD coverage is necessary or not depends on the type of car you drive, your current policy, and your risk tolerance. The best way to make the right decision is to talk with a licensed and experience agent.

At Wellcovered Insurance Group, we will help you get car insurance that is unique to your needs. Please feel free to talk to our agents at (386) 218-4951 and learn more about our agency. You can request a free online quote to know how much you can save!