Take these steps when your dog has bitten someone:
- Tell the dog bite victim to wash the affected area thoroughly. Offer help.
- Put your dog in its crate or to a room in your house
- Call a doctor to check at the wound of the victim, no matter how minor it looks on the surface.
- Call your vet and get the medical records of your dog.
- Give your contact information to the victim, and get theirs as well.
After Your Dog Bites
The victim of your dog may decide to file a lawsuit against you. Be ready to get an attorney.
Immediately offer to pay the medical expenses of the dog bite victim. This indicates you acknowledge your responsibility as the dog owner. It is the right thing to do even if you are not legally required to do it yet. This also helps to avoid a long and messy lawsuit.
Laws About Dog Bites
When it comes to dog bite cases, these generally apply:
- Present the history of the rabies vaccination of your dog.
- You are likely to require by the law to quarantine your dog. If the rabies vaccination is not recent, the quarantine period can get longer.
- There are certain laws you need to follow, in terms of proper handling of your dog. This particularly applies if your dog has been categorized as a “dangerous dog.”
- If the injury is fatal or serious, you could be facing criminal charges.
- If your dog has been proven to be dangerous, a euthanasia may be required.
After the dealing with the necessary processes and having to pay the medical expenses or damages brought on by your dog, it would be fortunate for you if you are still allowed to keep your dog. Make sure you do your part to prevent it from happening again.
Protect yourself as a dog owner too. Take proper safety measures such as putting up warning signs or fences. Also, check and review your homeowner’s insurance if it includes dog bites coverage. At Wellcovered Insurance, we put our clients first by offering them policies that they can afford. Learn more about our products and services by calling our agency at (386) 218-4951. You can also request for a free quote by CLICKING HERE.